WhatsApp Pay is now available for users in India. The Facebook-owned messaging app began testing the feature with over 1 million users in 2018. However, only after two years, it was granted approval by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). The announcement came the day after NPCI said it had beckoned WhatsApp to implement a UPI-based payment system in India.
Expressing his thoughts on the launch of WhatsApp Pay in India, Facebook CEO and Co-Founder Mark Zuckerberg said, “We have worked on this with the National Payments Corporation of India, who oversee everything to make sure it is safe and reliable. And we built it using India’s Unified Payments Interface, which allows anyone to instantly accept payments through different apps and businesses to provide people with great services.
“With UPI, India has created something truly special and is opening up a world of opportunities for the micro and small businesses that are the backbone of the Indian economy. India is the first country to do something similar. I am happy that we have been able to support this effort and work together to help make India more digital. I want to thank all our partners who made it possible, ”he added.
WhatsApp has five partnerships with five leading banks including ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, State Bank of India and Jio Payments Bank to enable UPI payments in India. To send or receive money via WhatsApp Pay, you must first have a bank account and a debit card.
So here’s how you can set up WhatsApp Pay on your phone
– First, you need to update WhatsApp on Play Store to get the Payments feature
– On your Android device, open your WhatsApp chat window and tap on three vertical dots in the top right corner.
– You will find the Payments option in the list. Touch it.
– Once the Payments window opens, tap Add new payment method
– Tap Accept and continue to proceed further – When you tap Accept, you will be redirected to a new window with a list of banks that have partnered with WhatsApp
– Select your bank from the list and verify the account using your phone number. Remember to use the number you registered with your bank.
– Tap Allow to allow WhatsApp to verify your account and send messages for authentication
– Once you have entered the number, WhatsApp will check with your bank and configure the payment.
– Press done and access your Payments page.
How to send money on WhatsApp
– Choose the contact you want to send money to
– In the chat window, tap the clip icon.
– Choose the rupee icon
– Enter the amount you want to send along with a note if needed.
– Enter your UPI Pin to process the transaction.
—Wait for a confirmation message in the chat window.
The Facebook-owned messaging app began testing the feature with over 1 million users in 2018.
- WhatsApp Pay is now available for users in India.
- WhatsApp began testing the feature with over 1 million users in 2018.
- WhatsApp has implemented the feature for iOS and Android users.