Samsung launched the Galaxy S20 FE on Tuesday, where FE stands for Fan Edition. This is a scaled-down variant of the Galaxy S20 and Samsung is hoping it will be able to position the phone as a flagship killer at a more affordable price. But if the Galaxy S20 is the flagship and the Galaxy S20 FE edition is the killer, what’s the difference between these two phones.
In the next few days you will be hearing about more subtle differences between the two phones but even if we take a quick look, some of the details are clear. To achieve a lower price, Samsung has toned down a few bits of the Galaxy S20 FE, obviously because everything costs a little money. That said, here are some key differences between the Galaxy S20 and the Galaxy S20 FE:
– The biggest difference is in build quality. As a true flagship phone, the S20 uses a metal and glass body. Instead the Galaxy S20 FE uses a metal frame coupled with a plastic body, reinforced with glass fiber. The material is defined as “glastic” and is definitely not as smooth as glass. For all practical purposes, the back cover of the S20 FE is made of plastic. It also uses the Gorilla Glass 3 layer at the top of the screen and not the new Gorilla Glass 6 found in flagship phones, including the S20.
– The Galaxy S20 FE uses a lower resolution screen. Its screen resolution is 1080 x 2400 pixels, which is significantly lower than the higher resolution screen of the Galaxy S20. The Galaxy S20 uses a screen with a resolution of 3200 × 1440 pixels.
– Galaxy S20 FE camera setup is smoother than S20 cameras. While the main camera is the same that uses a 12-megapixel sensor (IMX555), the telephoto camera is different. The Galaxy S20 uses a 64MP image sensor for this camera while the Galaxy S20 FE uses an 8MP camera.
– The S20 FE is a heavier phone with 190 grams than the S20 which is quite light at 163 grams. Obviously the difference in weight is due to the size. The S20 FE is a larger phone with a 6.5-inch screen, while the S20 has a 6.2-inch screen. The battery size is even larger in the S20 FE as it gets a 4500mAh battery instead of the 4000mAh battery in the flagship phone.
– The Galaxy S20 can record 8K video and HDR + video. The Galaxy S20 FE can only record videos up to 4K and doesn’t appear to support HDR +.
– The front camera of the S20 FE uses a 32 megapixel image sensor. The front camera of the Galaxy S20 uses a 10 megapixel sensor.
To sum it up, for all practical purposes the main differences between the S20 FE and the flagship S20 lie in the construction material, the screen and some components of the camera. These are also the parts where the cost of construction tends to be high. So yes, the S20 FE costs less than the S20 but in some areas you also get a lower phone than the regular S20. There is no harm in saving money if the cheapest phone serves your purpose, but understand what you will give up and what you will gain if you decide to opt for the S20 FE over the Galaxy S20.
Samsung launched the Galaxy S20 Fan Edition in India priced at Rs 49,999. So how does the new phone compare to the older and more expensive Galaxy S20?
- The price of the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE in India is Rs 49,999.
- The Galaxy S20 was launched in India priced at Rs 66,999.
- Compared to the S20, the Galaxy S20 FE has a different screen and build quality.