Rogers’ customers become increasingly angry after three days without cellular service or the Internet

Share This Post

After waiting hours on hold to speak with a Rogers representative, Rosanna Minicucci is still no closer to finding out when her landline, internet and TV service might be restored. “I stayed five hours on hold, on the line. People are obviously calling — there are obviously a lot of people out there still with no service,” Minicucci, who lives in Vaughan, north of Toronto, said.

Some people are still unable to use phones or the internet after Ottawa summons executives from the telecom sector for a meeting. In this stock image, a man passes by a Rogers store in Toronto. Following a nationwide network outage the day before, Rogers reported on Saturday that service had been restored to the majority of consumers. However, some customers are still claiming persistent problems with their phone, internet, and cable services. The Canadian Press/Galit Rodan


  • In a statement on Sunday afternoon, Rogers said its networks and systems were “close to fully operational,” with service restored to “the vast majority” of customers. “We are aware that some customers continue to experience intermittent challenges with their services,” Rogers said. The company did not answer questions about how many customers were still facing issues. It said its technical teams were working to resolve the remaining issues, and affected customers would receive credits on their accounts. Rogers has not said what the amount of the credit would be.

  • She is one of a number of Rogers customers who told CBC News they’re still struggling to use their phones, internet and other Rogers services more than 48 hours after Friday’s nationwide outage caused major disruptions, including to 911 lines and banking services. Is your internet or phone still not working following the Rogers network outage? We want to hear from you. Send an email to

With her internet down on Friday, Minicucci was unable to work from home as she usually does, and on Sunday afternoon, she was uncertain about whether her service would be restored in time for work on Monday morning. “Will I stay with Rogers? How can I? I don’t trust their service,” she said. Jen Dieleman, a DoorDash driver in London, Ont., said she was unable to work on Friday or Saturday because her Rogers cellphone couldn’t connect to the app that drivers use to pick up and deliver orders. Her service was still spotty on Sunday, she said.

Earlier, it blamed the outage on a maintenance update that caused some of its routers to malfunction early Friday morning. Rogers CEO apologizes for massive service outage, blames maintenance update: Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri apologized for a lengthy network outage that affected customers across the country and blamed it on a network system failure following a maintenance update in its core network. Some Rogers customers who have been waiting more than two days for service restoration say they are unhappy with the company’s lack of communication and are now considering switching providers.

“I’m out trying to work right now, and it’s still glitching and having issues,” Dieleman said, adding that she had missed out on picking up orders due to issues with her cellphone data. In Whitby, east of Toronto, Justine Creagmile and her parents are still waiting for their home phone, internet and cable to resume working — even though service has been restored for their neighbours. Rogers’ issues were also affecting other companies that rely on its network, including internet provider TekSavvy, which was advising its customers in Ontario and Quebec of ongoing issues on Sunday afternoon.



Related Posts