More

    Older Android phones will start to fail at web browsing in 2021, here are all the details

    Are you using an old Android phone? Maybe it’s time for you to update your phone. According to reports, you will no longer be able to access secure websites from your old Android Deuces with 7.1.1 Nougat or later. Devices will receive certificate errors if users try to access a secure website from their phone.

    According to a report published in Android Police, users will no longer be able to access secure websites. This means that websites didn’t open on older Android devices running on older operating systems. Websites will encounter problems or fail to load fully if the appropriate certificates are not installed on the devices.

    Now, this is happening because Let’s Encrypt has announced that its partnership with the IdenTrust certification authority will end on September 1, 2021. There are apparently no plans for renewal. For the uninitiated, Lets Encrypt is one of the leading certificate authorities in the world and its certifications are used by around 30% of web domains.

    - Advertisement -

    “Five years ago, when Let’s Encrypt was launched, that’s exactly what we did. We received a cross signature from IdenTrust. Their “DST Root X3” has been around for a long time and all major software platforms have already trusted it: Windows, Firefox, macOS, Android, iOS, and a variety of Linux distributions. That cross-signing allowed us to start issuing certificates right away and make them useful to many people. Without IdenTrust, Let’s Encrypt may never have existed and we are grateful for their cooperation. In the meantime, we have issued our root certificate (“ISRG Root X1”) and asked for it to be trusted by major software platforms, “Lets Encrypt said on its blog.

    Let’s Encrypt pointed out that “some software that hasn’t been updated since 2016 (roughly when our root was accepted by many root programs) still doesn’t trust our root certificate, ISRG Root X1. Specifically, this includes Android versions earlier than 7.1.1. This means that older versions of Android will no longer trust certificates issued by Let’s Encrypt. “

    The website also shared the percentage of people who are still using dated Android phones. It also suggested ways to access websites for people who don’t want to upgrade their phones. The blog states that 66.2% of Android devices are running version 7.1 or later. The other 33.8% of Android devices will start getting certificate errors when users visit sites who have a Let’s Encrypt certificate. However, if you don’t feel like updating your phone, you can download Firefox and use it to access websites.

    “For the built-in browser of an Android phone, the list of trusted root certificates comes from the operating system which is out of date on these older phones. However, Firefox is currently unique among browsers that comes with its own list of trusted root certificates So anyone who installs the latest version of Firefox gets the benefit of an up-to-date list of trusted certificate authorities, even if their operating system is not up to date, ”the Let’s Encrypt blog reads.

    Users will no longer be able to access secure websites from your old Android Deuces with 7.1.1 Nougat or later.

    News Underline:

    • Users will no longer be able to access any protected website from your old Android Deuces with 7.1.1 Nougat or later.
    • This means that websites would not open on older Android devices running on older operating systems.
    • Users can download Firefox and use it to access websites.
    - Advertisement -

    Latest Articles