(Reuters) – India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology has issued new warnings to make a permanent ban imposed on the TikTok video app and 58 other Chinese apps in June, Indian media reported on Monday.
When it first imposed the ban, the Indian government gave the 59 apps a chance to explain their stance on complying with privacy and security requirements, the Times of India reported on Monday at bit.ly/3iJxgcX.
The companies, which include ByteDance’s popular video-sharing app TikTok, Tencent Holdings’ WeChat, and Alibaba’s UC Browser, were asked to answer a list of questions, the newspaper said.
“The government is not satisfied with the answer / explanation provided by these companies. So, the ban on these 59 apps is now permanent, “a source familiar with the warnings, business newspaper Livemint bit.ly/3a3Us1t, said. It said the warnings were issued last week.
The ministry’s June order stated that the apps were “detrimental to India’s sovereignty and integrity, India’s defense, state security and public order.”
The order, which India has called a “digital attack”, followed a skirmish with Chinese troops at a disputed Himalayan border. site when 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
In September, India banned 118 other mobile apps, including Tencent’s popular PUBG video game, as it increased pressure on Chinese tech companies following the border standoff.
A representative from TikTok told Economic Times newspaper bit.ly/39lKf1v that the company was considering the warning and will respond as appropriate.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology could not be contacted for comment outside normal business hours. TikTok did not respond to a request for comment.
Reportage by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Sonya Hepinstall modification